Sopaipillas are a delicious dessert served with powdered sugar and honey drizzled over the top. I show you how to do it from scratch.
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 oz. of warm water
- Honey and powdered sugar
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and stir to combine. Then add the vegetable oil to the warm water.
- Add the water/oil mixture, 1 Tbsp. at a time to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Then continue adding the water to the flour, 1 Tbsp at a time and stir until mixed in and all the water is combined.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for a couple of minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Then place the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp paper towel for 20 minutes.
- Heat a saucepan of vegetable oil over medium heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.). You want the oil deep enough so the sopaipillas float (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep).
- After 20 minutes, flour the surface you will be rolling the dough out on. I cut the dough in half to make it easier to roll and handle.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Then cut shapes into triangles, rectangles or any shape you like. (2 to 3 inches across). Heck, you could cut heart shapes for Valentine’s day.
- Now you are ready to fry the sopapillas. Make sure the oil is 375 degrees F. Lay one piece of dough into the hot oil.
- It will sink to the bottom for a second and then float to the top. Take a spoon and pour the hot oil over the top of the sopaipilla so that it will puff up like a pillow.
- Turn the dough over once it turns a golden brown and cook on the second side. Remove to a paper towel covered tray to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar as you saw in the video or sprinkle with regular sugar and cinnamon combined.
- Serve with honey and enjoy!
You can also pull off a corner of the sopaipilla and fill with savory foods like you would place in a taco (ground beef, cheese, lettuce, etc).
Sopapillas are best eaten immediately.
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on How To Make Sopaipillas - Mexican Pastry Dessert With Honey | Rockin Robin Cooks
Ingredients: baking powder cinnamon Flour honey Powdered Sugar salt Vegetable Oil