Indian-Spiced Pepper Steak Recipe; How to prepare it? What are the ingredients? Cooking tips and more. Here is the best "Indian-Spiced Pepper Steak" recipe we have found so far.
Indian-Spiced Pepper Steak
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds beef flank, skirt or flap (bavette) steak
- 1 teaspoon (scant 1/3 palm full) coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (Gebhart’s preferred brand) or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or pepper sauce
- About 1 teaspoon garam masala
- About 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large bell pepper, red or yellow
- 2 to 3 (medium to spicy heat level) red or green finger chilies or Serrano peppers
- 1 inch ginger root
- 1 small garlic bulb, 5 to 6 cloves
- High-temp cooking oil, such as peanut or safflower
- A few curry leaves, optional but recommended
- Juice of 1 lemon OR a few tablespoons Shaoxing or sherry OR 2 tablespoons vinegar, sherry or apple cider
- A handful of cilantro tops, chopped
- Traditional Basmati, for serving, optional, recipe follows
- Grilled naan, for serving, optional
- Mango chutney, for serving
- Mumbai Mule, for serving, recipe follows
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice
- 5 cardamom pods or 1 black cardamom pod
- A small piece cinnamon stick
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- A few curry leaves
Lavender Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 or 6 fresh lavender sprigs
- Chili powder, for rimming the serving mug
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- Lavender sprig and lime wheel, for garnish
- Gather all your ingredients and place around large work area, near stove.
- Pat meat dry and cut it into 3 or 4 portions, then thinly slice the meat into strips against the grain of the meat.
- Place a small skillet with seeds and peppercorns over medium heat and toast a minute until fragrant. Place in spice mill and grind. Combine with chili powder, garam masala and turmeric. (Ready-ground spices can be substituted but toasted whole seeds and peppercorns that are freshly ground are a little deeper and bigger in flavor.)
- Peel and chop red onion. Seed and thinly slice bell pepper. Thinly slice or chop the fresh chili peppers. Seed if you prefer milder food or leave seeds in for extra spicy. Grate or mince ginger and garlic.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan, and cook beef in single layer to brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Season with salt and remove to platter. Add more oil, another turn of the pan, and add onions and peppers, toss 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and curry leaves and toss a minute more. Add beef back to pan, sprinkle in spice blend, toss to combine with peppers and douse with lemon juice, sherry or vinegar. Garnish beef with cilantro. Serve beef with rice or grilled naan, mango chutney and Mumbai Mule.
- Bring water (with or without aromatics) to a boil. Add rice and salt and cook in boiling water, 12 minutes. Rinse in strainer using HOT water, drain and remove aromatics if using.
- For the simple syrup: Heat the water and sugar in a small saucepan until sugar is melted. Add lavender and let cool. Store in refrigerator.
- For the mule: Run a fresh cut lime over the rim of a copper mug or rocks glass. Place rim of glass upside down into a saucer filled with chili powder to coat the rim. Fill glass with ice. Place vodka, lime juice, turmeric, ginger beer and 1/2 ounce lavender simple syrup into glass. Stir gently and garnish with a lavender sprig and lime wheel.
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Foodnetwork