Are you missing sweets on your ketogenic diet? There are plenty of sugar-free treats out there these days, from blueberry cheesecake ice cream to sugar-free gummy bears and candy. These options can be very helpful for anyone who is following a ketogenic diet because of the restricted number of carbs.
However, most sugar-free snacks still contain plenty of artificial ingredients and may not be the healthiest choice. It is best to steer away from artificial sweeteners whenever possible and instead consume natural low-carb sweeteners when needed.
In this article, we look at different keto desserts as well as their nutritional value so you can make the right choices while sticking to your diet plan.
What is a Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet, or the keto diet as many refer to it, is a low-carb diet that places your body into a state of “ketosis.” In other words, your body begins using fat as its primary source of energy instead of carbs. The goal of the diet is to enter a state of “nutritional ketosis” where your blood levels of ketones are higher than blood levels of glucose.
The keto diet is used as a way to help manage certain health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, epilepsy, and other metabolic diseases. It is also useful as a tool to help with weight loss. The keto diet can have many benefits, but it is not for everyone. There are varying opinions on if the diet is a viable long-term option and if it is sustainable.
The keto diet typically includes a very strict carb restriction, usually around 20-50 grams of carbs per day. This means that many common foods are eliminated from the diet, including starchy vegetables, fruit, grains, milk, legumes, and sugar.
In addition to eliminating these foods, the keto diet also typically includes a moderate protein intake and a high fat intake. The ratio of fat to carbs and protein can vary depending on the individual’s goals, but the typical keto diet looks something like this:
- 75% fat
- 20% protein
- 5% carbs
This macronutrient ratio helps your body enter a state of ketosis, where your body starts using fat for energy instead of glucose.
There are many different ways to get started with the keto diet, but it is extremely important to work with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian if you are considering this change. They can help you determine if the diet is right for you and can help you create a plan that fits your individual needs. It’s also important to note that your body might require a smooth transition into keto, in which case you can consider more relaxed versions, such as the “lazy keto” diet. SideChef mentions that this beginner-friendly version provides an easy way to stick to your diet and enjoy variety, since it doesn’t require you to count macros or restrict certain types of food. Whichever version you decide to begin with, make sure you transition into the diet carefully in order to avoid health problems.
The Healthiest Keto Desserts
– Sugar-free cookies: If you want a sweet treat that’s similar to a cookie, look for sugar-free varieties that are very low in carbs.
– Sugar-free ice cream: You can find low-carb ice cream in a variety of flavors at most grocery stores. Try to avoid the brands that add unnecessary ingredients to their ice cream.
– Sugar-free gummy bears: Gummy bears are great for a sugar-free dessert. Look for sugar-free varieties at your local convenience store or grocery store.
– Sugar-free pudding: Pudding is a great dessert for when you don’t feel like chewing. Sugar-free pudding is also a good option if you’re looking for a high-protein snack. Choose low-carb options that are made with stevia or erythritol.
– Sugar-free chocolate: There are many types of sugar-free chocolate out there. Chocolate is a great dessert for when you’re craving something sweet. It’s important to choose a high-quality option that’s free of artificial ingredients. Avoid chocolate with added sugar. If you have a craving for chocolate check out this easy chocolate cake recipe we found on www.thebakingchocolatess.com. It is keto-friendly while packing in lots of flavor into a moist yummy treat!
Sugar-Free Desserts: Pros and Cons
Sugar-free desserts are the perfect keto treat. The best part is that you can eat them guilt-free, especially if you choose lower-carb options. Sugar-free sweets are often sweetened with artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, aspartame, or saccharin. While these are less harmful than regular sugar, they are also not as healthy.
For example, artificial sweeteners have been linked to an increase in insulin levels, which can lead to weight gain. The great news is that plenty of keto-friendly desserts exist that don’t contain artificial sweeteners. You can make low-carb desserts at home or seek out sugar-free treats at the store.
When buying sugar-free desserts, look out for ingredients like erythritol, xylitol, and monk fruit. These are naturaly occuring sweeteners that do not raise your blood sugar. They are helpful for people who want to reduce their sugar intake but don’t want to consume artificial ingredients. If you are eating a keto diet, you should avoid regular sugar and sugar-free desserts that are high in carbs. You can read more about these natural sweeteners below.
Natural Sweeteners for a Keto Diet
Most natural sweeteners don’t have many carbs. Here are some of the best options for people on a keto diet:
– Stevia: Stevia is a plant-based sweetener that has no calories. It’s often sold as a liquid, so you can easily add it to your coffee or tea.
– Erythritol: Erythritol is a natural sweetener that doesn’t affect your blood sugar levels. It’s usually used in combination with other sweeteners.
– Xylitol: Xylitol is a natural sweetener made from plants. It’s similar to erythritol in how it’s absorbed and metabolized in the body. It’s often used in addition to other sweeteners like stevia or erythritol. Be very careful with this sweetener if you have dogs around though. This sweetener can be poisonous to your dog by causing low blood sugar or hypoglycemia.
-Monk Fruit: Monk fruit is a natural sweetener with no calories. It’s about 100 times sweeter than sugar, which means you can use very little.
The ketogenic diet is a great way to lose weight and improve your health. But sticking to the keto diet can be challenging when you’re craving sweets. Fortunately, there are plenty of keto-friendly desserts out there. You can choose low-carb sweets made with natural sweeteners or make desserts at home with sugar alternatives.
If you’re on a keto diet, you’ve probably noticed that it’s almost impossible to find something that’s both low in carbs and high in fat. That’s because fruits, nuts, and a lot of other ingredients are high in carbs, which is why many people choose to avoid them while on a diet.