- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 eggs
- 4 small flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- handful pickled jalapeño peppers, roughly chopped
- 30g cheddar, grated
- 1 avocado, peeled, de-stoned and diced
- 1 lime, half juiced, half cut into wedges, to serve
- chopped coriander, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. Add the onions with a pinch of salt, and cook until translucent, around 3-4 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Stir in the beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano, some seasoning, and 100ml water. Cook for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally, or until the beans have softened, then remove from the heat, mash and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Crack in the eggs, then reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the whites are completely firm.
- To assemble, spread the beans onto the tortillas, add the tomatoes and jalapeños and sprinkle with cheese. Top with some avocado, a squeeze of lime juice and a fried egg, then scatter with coriander. Serve with the lime wedges on the side.
Ingredients: avocado cheddar chili powder coriander dried oregano egg Garlic ground cumin lime olive oil onion pickled jalapeno peppers red kidney beans tomato tortilla