New Orleans-Style Beignets Recipe; How to prepare it? What are the ingredients? Cooking tips and more. Here is the best "New Orleans-Style Beignets" recipe we have found so far.
New Orleans-Style Beignets
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- 24 beignets
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water (95°F to 100°F)
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour with the sugar, salt and yeast.
2. Add the warm water, evaporated milk, egg and butter, and mix on medium speed until the mixture forms a smooth but sticky dough, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. (See note below for overnight instructions.)
4. When the dough has risen, heat 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a medium pot. Heat until the oil reaches 350°F on a thermometer. Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels.
5. While the oil heats, divide the dough in half. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to about ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into 2-inch squares (no need to be precise).
6. Fry the dough in batches until golden brown and puffed, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the dough over while it fries to make sure it browns evenly.
7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beignets from the oil to the paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Cool slightly, then finish with a generous sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately.
Note: You can also make the dough the night before and let it rise overnight. Here’s how: Use lukewarm water (80°F to 85°F) in step 2. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in the refrigerator overnight (8 to 10 hours). Remove the dough from the refrigerator and resume with step 4.
- 887 calories
- 39g fat
- 117g carbs
- 18g protein
- 20g sugar
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Taste of Home