- 1 medium blood orange
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh bay leaf or 1/2 dried
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbs. mild honey, such as clover
- 1 Tbs. brown mustard seeds
- 1 Tbs. yellow mustard seeds
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium firm-ripe pears (preferably Bosc), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Crostini (recipe below)
Makes 16 crostini
- 16 baguette slices, between
- 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick (from about 1/2 baguette)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 to 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Peel a 1×3-inch strip of zest from the orange. Trim off any white pith from the strip with a paring knife and put the zest in a 3-quart saucepan. Trim away the remaining orange peel and cut the segments free from the membranes, letting them fall into the saucepan. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the saucepan.
- Tie the rosemary and bay leaf into a cheesecloth bundle and add to the saucepan along with the wine, honey, mustard seeds, and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the honey dissolves and the flavors meld a bit, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pears and cranberries and return to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender and the liquid is syrupy, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the herb bundle and zest, and let cool. Serve at room temperature. The mostarda will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week. — Melissa Pellegrino
PER 2 TBS: 45 CALORIES | 0G PROTEIN | 8G CARB | 0G TOTAL FAT | 0G SAT FAT |
0G MONO FAT | 0G POLY FAT | 0MG CHOL | 70MG SODIUM | 1G FIBER
- Adjust an oven rack to 6 inches from the broiler and turn the broiler to high.
- Rub one side of each bread slice with the garlic and set on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Brush the garlic side with the oil and season with salt.
- Broil until the bread is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and broil the other side 1 minute more.
Use these toasted baguette rounds as a base for the mostarda.
PER SERVING: 460 CALORIES | 16G PROTEIN | 72G CARB | 13G TOTAL FAT | 2G SAT FAT |
8G MONO FAT | 2G POLY FAT | 0MG CHOL | 1,090MG SODIUM | 13G FIBER
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Fine Cooking