- Mix warm milk, sugar, and yeast together in a small bowl until dissolved. Set aside and allow yeast to proof until foamy.
- Whisk eggs and cooled melted butter together in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Mix in egg mixture and continue to stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky. Continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes, using additional flour if necessary. Place dough into a greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover and place in a warm, draft-free area. Allow dough to rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice, orange zest, cornstarch, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and thicken slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow filling to cool to room temperature.
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan and a 6-inch cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease both pans.
- Turn risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a rectangle approximately 21×14 inches. Place cranberry filling on the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Roll dough up starting at a long side. Pinch ends to seal dough and lay seam-side down on a cutting board. Use a very sharp or serrated knife to cut into 15 rolls, each about 1 1/4-inch thick. Place rolls cut-side up in the prepared pans, 12 in the baking pan and 3 in the cake pan.
- Loosely cover pans and allow rolls to rise until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until buns are golden brown on top, 22 to 27 minutes. Allow to cool in the pans for several minutes before transferring to a serving plate.
- Whisk confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Add more cream to thin or more sugar to thicken, if needed. Pour glaze over slightly warm rolls before serving.
% Daily Value *
Total Fat: 10 %
Cholesterol: 14 %
Sodium: 9 %
Potassium: 4 %
Total Carbohydrates: 18 %
Dietary Fiber: 13 %
Protein: 11 %