- 2 cups of sweet rice flour (Mochiko powder)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- salt, sugar, brown sugar
- 1 cups of red beans
- 1 ts of cinnamon powder
- black sesame seeds powder
- mugwort powder
- toasted yellow soy bean powder, and 1 or 2 cups of flour
Make red bean paste
- In a pot, place 1 cup of washed red beans and 4 cups of water and heat it over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low medium and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Check if the beans are cooked fully. Remove extra water from the beans and crush them with a wooden spoon.
- Add 1 cup of brown sugar, ¼-½ ts of salt, 1 ts of cinnamon powder into the red bean paste and set it aside.
Prepare 3 bowls where 3 different kinds of powder will be placed for the rice cake balls
- Black sesame seeds:
- Rinse and drain ½ cup of black sesame seeds in running water using a strainer.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and pour in the sesame seeds.
- Cook the sesame seeds by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- The sesame seeds will pop, then lower the heat and keep stirring until they are crispy. (5- 10 minutes)
- When the sesame seeds cool down, grind them with a coffee grinder.
- Transfer the sesame seeds powder to a bowl and add 2 tbs sugar and a pinch of salt and mix it.
- Put ½ cup of toasted soybean powder (kong gaa ru in Korean) in a bowl and add 2
tbs of sugar and a pinch of salt and mix it.
- Put ½ cup of mugwort powder (ssook gaa ru in Korean) in a bowl and add 2
tbs of sugar and a pinch of salt and mix it
Make rice cake dough.
- In a bowl, place 2 cups of sweet rice powder, 2 tbs of sugar, ½ ts of salt.
- Pour 1 cup of hot boiling water little by little while you are mixing it with a spoon
- Mix the dough by hand.
*tips: if you feel the dough is too wet, add some plain flour
- Put the rice cake dough into a plastic bag and set it aside
In a big pot, place a lot of water and boil it
Let’s make rice cake!
- Take the rice cake dough out from the plastic bag and place it on the cutting board.
Tip: To protect the dough from being stuck to the board, sprinkle some plain flour before placing the rich cake dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 and roll each one to make cylinder shape and cut it into 18-20 pieces.
- Roll each piece of rice dough with your hands and make a hole in the middle of the ball with your thumb. Then turn the ball into a cup.
- Put the bean paste into the middle.
- Close it tightly and place it on a plate.
Tip: While you are making rice balls, the rest of dough may get dried, so cover them with wet cloth or paper towel.
- Carefully put all the rice cake balls into boiling water. When the rice cake balls are cooked, they float. It will take about 3 -5 minutes until they float.
- Prepare lots of cold water in a big bowl.
- Put the cooked rice balls into cold water and drain them.
- Roll the cooked rice balls in the 3 different colors of powder and transfer them to a plate.