- 200g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/gas 3.
- Put the coconut, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the chopped walnuts, grated carrot, sugar, egg whites and a pinch of salt and mix together until everything is fully incorporated.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and drop 18–20 heaped dessertspoons of the mixture on to the tray, leaving a gap of at least 1cm between them. Shape the mounds so that they are roughly circular.
- Put the tray into the preheated oven and bake for 15–20
- , until golden and firm on the outside. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.