Cashew Chicken with Bell Peppers is one of the most nutritious, flavor-bursting and well-balanced dishes on the dinner table of a Chinese family. Furthermore, it is quite beautiful to the eyes, too.
The chicken breast is briefly marinated, resulting in juicy, tender bites that are very flavorful. The sauce is made from the rich oyster sauce, a touch of vinegar, some soy sauce, some sugar, and tons of aromatics, which combine to make the sauce very fragrant, gingery, and garlicky. Then you finish up the dish with colorful peppers and nutty cashews. Mmmh sounds excellent right 🙂 Let’s jump right into this amazing recipe by Maggie Zhu!
Pro Tip: Cashew Chicken with Bell Peppers is escalating quickly, so it’s better if you’d prepare all the ingredients prior to your cooking!
Cashew Chicken with Bell Peppers Recipe
1 lb (450 g) skinless boneless chicken breast (or thigh), cut into 2/3-inch (1 cm) pieces
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons oyster sauce or hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce or soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon white pepper powder
2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
2 green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup toasted unsalted cashews
- Combine chicken, Shaoxing wine, salt, and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. Mix well so the chicken is evenly coated with a thin slurry.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Spread the chicken with minimal overlapping. Let cook until the bottom side is light golden, 1 minute or so. Turn to the other side and cook until lightly golden. Stir a few times until all surfaces turn white. Transfer the chicken to a big plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, ginger, and green onion. Stir a few times to release the fragrance.
- Add the peppers. Stir and cook until the peppers just turn tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir the sauce again to dissolve the cornstarch completely. Pour into the pan. Quickly stir a few times until the sauce thickens. Return the chicken to the skillet and mix again.
- Add the cashews, quickly give it a stir and immediately transfer everything to a plate.
- Serve hot over steamed rice as a main dish.
Credits: Original Recipe by Maggie Zhu on OmnivoresCookbook
Cuisine: Asian Chinese Thai
Ingredients: bell pepper Cashews Chicken Breast Cornstarch Garlic Green Onions Oyster Sauce Soy Sauce Vegetable Oil Wine