- 1 package no-boil lasagna sheets
- finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Vegan Bechamel Sauce
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cooking onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 lbs (roughly 3 cups) veggie ground round
- 1 jar (roughly 3 cups) Passata
- 1 3/4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 no-beef (or vegetable) bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste (roughly ½ tsp each)
For the Meat Sauce:
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the carrots are softened and the garlic fragrant.
- Add ground round and cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add Passata, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add agave, taste and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, for roughly 20-30 minutes or until
- the sauce has thickened slightly.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare vegan bechamel.
Assembling the lasagna:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spoon about 1 cup of meat sauce on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Cover with lasagna sheets, then enough meat sauce to cover the pasta (roughly 2 cups), and then 1 cup of bechamel.
- Repeat layers.
- The last layer should be a think amount of meat sauce topped with bechamel.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.