- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 fresh mild Italian sausage, (about 6 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 32 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pan heat olive oil over medium low heat and sauté onion and garlic until onions are translucent about 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and add beef and sausage to the pan, break up meat into small pieces and cook until no traces of pink remain about 5 minutes. Pour off any excess fat drippings from the pan. Season meat with 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add tomato paste and stir until combined. Add crushed tomatoes and oregano, simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
Lasagna with Meat Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside until ready to use. I like to place each cooked lasagna noodle on a sheet tray, separately the noodles in a single layer in between clean kitchen towels to keep them from sticking together.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together eggs, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and parsley.
- Reserve about 1 cup of meat sauce and 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese for topping the lasagna.
- Lightly coat or spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with oil. Add just enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom of the dish to prevent sticking.
- Layer 3 to 4 sheets of lasagna, top with 1/3 of ricotta cheese mixture, 1/3 meat sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat for 2 more layers.
- On the top layer pour the reserved meat sauce and cover evenly with the reserved mozzarella cheese.
- Line a sheet tray with foil and place the lasagna tray on top. Bake for 38 to 40 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and golden brown on top.
- Before slicing, allow the lasagna to rest for 15 minutes.
Calories 483 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Fat 28g 43%
Saturated Fat 12g 60%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Cholesterol 91mg 30%
Sodium 712mg 30%
Potassium 560mg 16%
Carbohydrates 31g 10%
Fiber 3g 12%
Sugar 10g 11%
Protein 28g 56%
Vitamin A 1600IU 32%
Vitamin C 31.4mg 38%
Calcium 740mg 74%
Iron 2mg 11%