- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges, root left intact
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (optional)
- handful of peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 slices smoked streaky bacon
- 1 slice of bread, cut into cubes
- 1 Baby Gem lettuce, leaves torn
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Arrange the onion wedges on one side of a baking tray. Drizzle with ½ tbsp of the olive oil and season. Put in the oven and roast for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas in boiling water for 2 mins, drain and rinse in very cold water. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing together another ½ tbsp of the oil, the vinegar, mustard and seasoning. Turn the onions, and put the bacon slices and bread next to thBacon & Roasem on the baking tray. Drizzle the remaining oil over the bread. Return the tray to the oven for 12 mins more, until the bacon and bread are golden.
- Put the lettuce and peas in a bowl, add the dressing and toss to combine. Arrange the onion and bread on top. Break up the bacon slightly and scatter over. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, if you like, and eat straight away.
Nutrition: per serving
- kcal 498
- fat 37g
- saturates 7g
- carbs 27g
- sugars 12g
- fibre 8g
- protein 14g
- salt 2.3g