- Chicken thighs
- starch noodles
- soy sauce
- oyster sauce
- rice syrup (or corn syrup)
- dark brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- dried red peppers
- potatoes, garlic
- green onions
- white mushrooms
- green chili peppers
- red chili peppers
- ground black pepper
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
Prepare chicken and noodles:
- Trim the excess fat from 3 pounds of chicken thighs (or breasts or wings) and cut them into bite-sized pieces (1 inch x 2½ inches).
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and soak it for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Soak 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of starch noodles in cold water.
- Combine ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup oyster sauce, ¼ cup rice syrup (or corn syrup), and 1 tbs dark brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut 3 peeled medium sized potatoes into 1½ inch thick chunks.
- Slice 1 medium sized carrot into slices 1/8 inch thick.
- Slice 1 medium sized onion.
- Chop up 1 red chili pepper and 2 green chili peppers.
- Slice 1 cup’s worth of white mushrooms into bite-sized chunks.
- Cut 5-7 green onion stalks into pieces 2 inch long.
- Shred the white parts of the green onions thinly lengthwise, and soak in cold water for 10 minutes before draining.
- Heat up a wok or a shallow skillet. Add 1-2 tbs vegetable oil.
- Cut 2-3 dried red peppers into pieces ½ inch long. Add them to the heated oil and stir-fry for 10-15 seconds before taking them out.
- Add the chicken.
*tip: to prevent yourself from getting burned from flying oil, first place the chicken on the edge of the pot and then push it in with a wooden spoon.
- Stir the chicken with a wooden spoon a few times. Let it cook with the lid open for about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, give it a quick stir, and let it cook with the lid open for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and ginger and stir it for a minute.
- Add the potato chunks, the sauce, and 2½-3 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes over high heat with the lid closed.
- Open the lid and add carrot and onion and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Keep the lid open.
- Add soaked and drained starch noodles, sliced red pepper, green chili peppers, white mushrooms, and cucumber. Keep stirring for 7-10 minutes over high heat until the braising liquid has thickened and the noodles look translucent.
- Turn off the heat and add 2 ts ground black pepper and 1 tbs sesame oil. Mix it together
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with chopped green onions and sprinkle some sesame seeds over top before serving.