- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 -2 1/2 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the water, yeast, honey, flour, salt, and olive oil. Knead until the dough comes together, about 1-2 minutes. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
4. On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, adding flour to the dough if it is sticky. Spread the dough with 4 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Fold the dough in half and cut into 12 strips. Twist each strip and then tie into a loose knot, it doesn’t need to be perfect. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir the melted butter together with the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the brown sugar. Spoon clumps of the brown sugar mix over the knots (see above photo). This is going to be your “crunch” layer. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
6. Meanwhile, make the Glaze. In a medium bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons water until smooth and combined. If needed, thin the glaze by adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
7. Drizzle glaze over the knots, if desired. Enjoy!