- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in noodles; cook 12-14 minutes or until al dente. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.
Health Tip: Stick with tradition. A number of scientific studies actually support the idea that chicken noodle soup can help ease cold symptoms.
1-1/2 cups: 195 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.