Strawberry Cake Ingredients:
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (*measured correctly)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 oz strawberries hulled
- 1 tsp powdered sugar for dusting, optional
Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:
- 16 oz strawberries hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or to taste
Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Prepare 12 oz of strawberries for the cake: dice 6 oz of strawberries and slice the second 6 oz into halves.
How to Make Easy Strawberry Cake:
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat together 2 eggs with 1 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until light in color and thick.
- Add 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla and beat on low speed until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together: 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt until well incorporated. With the mixer on med/low speed, add flour mixture to the batter 1/3 at a time, letting the flour incorporate with each addition and continue mixing just until well combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with 6 oz of diced strawberries then spread remaining batter over the top. Cover the surface with 6 oz of halved strawberries (cut-side-down), pressing them down just slightly into the batter. Bake at 375˚F for 45-55 minutes (mine was perfect at 50 min), or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cake rest in pan 15-20 min then remove ring and cool to room temp or until just lightly warm.
- Run a thin spatula around cake edges to loosen from pan. then transfer to a cake platter. Cool until just warm or at room temperature. To serve, dust with powdered sugar if desired. Drizzle individual slices generously with strawberry syrup.
How to Make Strawberry Sauce:
While the cake is baking, make the strawberry sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine 16 oz strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar (or add sugar to taste) and blend until pureed.