- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 1/4 cups red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes with juice
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pappardelle or tagliatelle or another long pasta for serving
Cook onion in oil over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until softened, an additional 5 minutes.
Add beef and pork. Brown until no pink remains. Drain fat. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Add milk and simmer until evaporated, about 6-7 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, tomatoes with juice and bay leaf. Break tomatoes up with a spoon. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta water.
Toss pasta with sauce adding pasta water to thin out if needed.
Serve hot with parmesan cheese.
Saturated Fat: 6g
Vitamin A: 2112IU
Vitamin C: 18mg