- 175g (6 oz) plain flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 300ml (101⁄2 fl oz) water
- 1tbs ouzo (or pastis)
- 300g (101⁄2 oz) whole raw Falmouth Bay shrimps or brown shrimps, or 175g (6 oz) raw peeled prawns cut into slices 5 mm (1⁄4 in) thick
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 1 tbs chopped dill
- Olive oil, for shallow-frying
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder; add the salt, then make a well in the centre and add the water and ouzo or pastis. Gradually incorporate the flour into the liquid to make a thick batter.
- Fold in the shrimps/prawns, spring onion and dill.
- Pour olive oil to a depth of about 5 mm (1⁄4 in) into a frying pan and place over a high heat.
- When hot, carefully add large spoonfuls of batter into the pan and spread out a little with the back of a spoon so they develop thin, crispy edges.
- Cook 2–3 at a time, turn over after 2 minutes and repeat until puffed up and golden on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.