- 500g rump steak, thinly sliced
- 4 lemongrass stalks (inner core only), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- 3 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 each orange and purple carrot, peeled, shredded
- 2 Asian (red) eschalots, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 2 baby cucumbers (cukes), thinly sliced into rounds
- Chopped roasted peanuts, thinly sliced chilli, fried Asian shallots (from Asian food shops – optional) and lime wedges, to serve
CHILLI LIME DRESSING
- 2cm piece (10g) ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbs grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- Juice of 4 limes
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
Combine steak, lemongrass, garlic, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
2.For the chilli lime dressing, using a mortar and pestle, pound ginger, garlic and sugar to a fine paste, then stir through remaining ingredients and set aside. (The dressing will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 2 days.)
When ready to serve, place noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Drain and rinse under cold water, then toss with half the dressing.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok over high heat. In 3 batches, cook steak mixture, tossing, for 1-2 minutes per batch or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining oil and steak mixture. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
5.Add carrot, eschalot, cucumber and cooked steak to dressed noodles and toss to combine. Divide among four serving plates. Drizzle with remaining dressing and scatter with peanuts, sliced chilli, fried shallots and lime wedges.