- 1 pound dried navy beans, (455g, 2 cups)
- 15 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, (15g, ½ ounce)
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch thick pieces
- 1 cup diced yellow onion, (138g, 4 ¾ ounces), ¼-inch dice
- ¾ cup diced green bell pepper, (100g, 3 ½ ounces), ¼-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (10g)
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, (60g, 2 ounces)
- ¼ cup tomato paste, (60ml)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, (10ml)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
Place oven rack in the center position and preheat to 350ºF (177ªC).
Pick over any broken or old beans and discard. Rinse and then add to a large dutch oven.
Add 3 quarts of water and baking soda to the dutch oven.
Bring water to a boil, and then reduce to medium-high and simmer for 20 minutes.
Drain the beans in a colander and rinse with cool water.
Rinse and dry the dutch oven.
Add bacon to the dutch oven, turn heat to medium. Saute until browned, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Add onion and bell pepper, saute until vegetables are tender, for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
In a small bowl whisk together molasses, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and pepper.
Add beans, molasses mixture, and 3 cups of water to the dutch oven, stir to combine.
Bring liquid to a boil, turn off heat and cover.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the beans are nearly tender, about 1 ½ hours.
Remove the cover and bake until beans are tender and creamy, about 30 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Calories 407 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Fat 12g 18%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 19mg 6%
Sodium 761mg 32%
Potassium 1116mg 32%
Carbohydrates 59g 20%
Fiber 15g 60%
Sugar 24g 27%
Protein 17g 34%
Vitamin A 187IU 4%
Vitamin C 15mg 18%
Calcium 149mg 15%
Iron 5mg 28%