- 1 batch Chipotle Aioli (optional // see notes for a quicker, nut-free substitution)
- 6 medium corn tortillas (use grain-free tortillas as needed // or sub flour tortillas)
- Lime wedges
- 1 lb white fish filets (such as tilapia, snapper, grouper, cod, halibut, mahi-mahi, or black drum)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral cooking oil // plus more for oiling grill or grill-pan)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal (optional // see notes for tips on achieving added crunch)
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple (use fresh, or you could grill your pineapple with your fish for more flavor)
- 3/4 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 healthy pinch sea salt
If preparing optional chipotle aioli, do so at this time. Set aside.
Slice fish into medium bite-size pieces or long strips (skin removed) and add to a plate. Drizzle with avocado oil and toss to coat. Then season both sides liberally with sea salt and chili powder and dust with cornmeal (optional for added crunch). You want the fish to be well seasoned, so don’t hold back! Once seasoned, set aside.
Prepare slaw by adding pineapple, cabbage, red onion, cilantro, lime, and sea salt to a medium mixing bowl and tossing to combine. Set aside.
Heat a grill, or heat a grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the surface with a little oil to prevent sticking.
Once the grill or grill pan is hot, add the seasoned fish and let cook for 3-4 minutes (without moving), or until grill marks are visible and the underside appears cooked (check the underside gently to avoid tearing). Then gently flip using a spatula or tongs. Handle the fish carefully as white fish can be tender.
Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the middle appears cooked and the underside also has grill marks. Set aside and cover to keep warm until serving.
Optional: Warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp towel or paper towel and heating in the microwave for 30 seconds, or in a 400 degree F (204 C) oven for 5 minutes or until warm.
To serve, divide fish between tortillas and top with slaw, fresh lime juice, and aioli (optional but recommended for bigger flavor!).
- Best when fresh. Slaw will keep in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Aioli will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week. Fish can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot. Not freezer friendly.
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Sodium: 403mg
- Potassium: 447mg
- Carbohydrates: 14.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Protein: 16.7g