- 4 eggwhites
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp ground licorice root or aniseed (from Herbie’s Spices)
- 1 tsp black food colouring (optional)
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 300ml pure (thin) cream
- Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and chocolate shavings, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 110°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt on medium-high speed to soft peaks. With the motor running, slowly add sugar, then add licorice and continue whisking until thick and glossy.
- Stir in food colouring, if using, to give a marbled effect. Spoon the meringue onto the tray in 6 even mounds, leaving a 2cm gap between each. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until dry to the touch. Turn off oven and cool with the door ajar for 1 hour.
- To make ganache, place dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place cream in a pan over medium heat. As soon as cream starts to bubble, pour over the chocolate.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to melt, then stir until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken.
- To serve, spread ganache on plates. Break up meringues and scatter over the top with berries and chocolate shavings.