- 6 tbsp. chickpea brine (from 15-oz. can chickpeas)
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Jam or Whipped Coconut Cream (recipe below), for filling
- Berries or chopped nuts for topping
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- In stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat chickpea brine and cream of tartar on medium for 5 minutes. Continue beating, adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat 10 minutes more until medium-stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- On a large parchment-lined baking sheet, spoon 8 large dollops of meringue (3″ each), pressing lightly in the center to form indent for filling.
- Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven; let stand in oven 1 hour. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the Whipped Coconut Cream: After refrigerating coconut milk overnight (avoid shaking cans so as to let the cream rise to top undisturbed), scoop coconut cream from cans, reserving liquid for another use. Add to the large mixing bowl. Add vanilla extract. With mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed, beat until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, fill with jam or Whipped Coconut Cream; top with berries or nuts. Unfilled pavlovas can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 1 week.