Skip to content
- 1 can Jamaican ackee, drained
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced spring onion
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium tomato, chopped, or 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper, or 1 Habanero pepper (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally until soft, approximately three minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and chopped red bell pepper. Cook one minute, then add the spring onion, thyme, and tomatoes. Cook. Stirring, for about one minute.
- Add the ackee, salt, and Scotch Bonnet or Habanero pepper. Sor gently to coat the ackee with seasonings.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer five minutes.
- Serve with dumplings, callaloo, and fried plantains.