For the Bar Base
- Parchment paper or wax paper to line pan
- 1 2/3 cup slivered almonds (blanched) or 1 3/4 cups raw almonds (whole).
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (to grind)
- 1 tbsp starch (arrowroot or tapioca work best)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (see notes for sugar-free option)
- Lemon zest
- Optional Lemon juice (1 tbsp or so)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional lemon extract 1/2 tsp
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseeds (or swap with protein powder if desired, see notes)
All ground then mixed with water/honey and pressed into lined 8×8 pan.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Lemon zest/peel
- 1/2 to 1 tsp coconut oil
- See notes for other sweetener options
- First-line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, grind your almonds and cashews into a finer mealy texture. I find that slivered almonds (vs whole) work best.
- Next, add in your coconut and blend again until batter is once again, mealy in texture. Pour batter in a large bowl and mix in your starch and 1 tbsp lemon zest.
- Heat 1/4 cup of water in a heat-safe container. Mix your honey, vanilla, and lemon extract or juice into the hot water.
- Pour the hot water/lemon mixture into the coconut/lemon nut mixture.
- Mix all together with spoon or hands. Add your ground flaxseed (or protein of choice) last.
- Press batter into the pan, evenly.
- Finally, make your topping.
Topping and Storage tips
- Grind 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes into a finer mixture. You can also just use shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Mix this with a 3 thinly cut and chopped lemon slices or 1 tbsp lemon zest. and 1/2 to 1 tsp coconut oil. Mix or grind together again. Spread this mixture of the bars. If you are not looking for lower sugar option, feel free to drizzle Optional honey on top.
- Place pan in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer. Once set, remove from fridge and cut into 9-12 squares. Wrap individually and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 6 weeks.