- 2 frozen butter puff pastry sheets, partially thawed, cut into 20cm discs
- 5 pork sausages, cases removed
- 1 parsnip, peeled, thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1 baby fennel, trimmed, thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 3 sage sprigs, leaves picked, chopped
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sage sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- For the onion jam, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sage. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until golden. Add sugar, vinegar and ¼ cup (60ml) water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large ovenproof tray with baking paper.
- Place a pasty disc onto lined tray. Spread onion jam over base leaving a 2cm border. Keeping within the border, cover with sausages laid out in a spiral. Top with parsnip, fennel and sage. Dot with butter and season.
- Brush pastry border with egg wash. Carefully place the second piece of pastry over the top, pressing out excess air. Pinch edges to seal. Using a sharp knife, make a small air hole in the centre of the pithivier. Score the pastry by gently running the knife in a slight curve from the centre to edge, making sure not to cut through the pastry. Repeat pattern around entire pithivier. Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Scatter with fennel seeds. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Serve with mixed salad leaves.