Shepherd's Pie Recipe; How to prepare this delicious recipe? What are the main ingredients required? Cooking time, important tips and more. Here is the best "Shepherd's Pie" recipe we have found so far.
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5kg boneless lamb neck (order from your butcher), cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek (white part only), chopped
- 1 celeriac, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves chopped
- 1/2 bunch thyme, leaves picked
- 1 cup (250ml) port
- 2 cups (500ml) red wine
- 2 cups (500ml) veal or beef stock
- 1.3kg (about 6) royal blue or desiree potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250ml) pure (thin) cream
- 2 tbs cornflour, dissolved in 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 200g frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 bunch oregano leaves, chopped
- 1/2 bunch tarragon leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Coat the lamb in flour, shaking off excess. In batches, cook lamb, turning, for 6-8 minutes until browned all over.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, then add carrot, leek celeriac, and onion, and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, rosemary and thyme, and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the port and wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Return lamb to pan, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cover with baking paper and a lid. Place in the oven and roast for 11/2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, place potato in a pan of cold salted water over high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and return to pan. Mash using a potato ricer or masher. Add egg yolks and cream, season with salt and beat to combine.
- Remove lamb from oven. Stir through cornflour mixture, peas, oregano and tarragon. Season. Increase oven to 220°C. Transfer lamb filling to a 3L-capacity pie dish and top with potato mixture.
- Return pie to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until the potato is golden. Serve pie hot
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Shepherd's Pie