Sticky Rice Mushroom Shumai with Homemade Wrappers Recipe; How to prepare this delicious recipe? What are the main ingredients required? Cooking time, important tips and more. Here is the best "Sticky Rice Mushroom Shumai with Homemade Wrappers " recipe we have found so far.
Sticky Rice Mushroom Shumai with Homemade Wrappers
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
For the wrappers:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup boiling water
For the filling:
- 2 cups uncooked sticky rice (aka sweet rice, glutinous rice)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 15 dried shiitake mushrooms (cleaned, soaked in warm water until softened, and diced)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mushroom soy sauce (dark soy sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Start by making the dough. Mix the flour, salt and boiling water together in a mixing bowl, handle with care and knead until you get a smooth dough. Put in a bowl covered with a damp towel, and let the dough rest for 1-2 hours. You can also cover it tightly and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight if you want to make it ahead of time.
- To make the filling, cook the sticky rice. You can either steam it (full instructions on how to pre-cook sticky rice using a soaking and steaming method here) or follow your rice cooker’s instructions if it has a special setting for sticky rice. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, and add the mushrooms and shallots. Stir-fry for a few minutes, until the shallots are translucent. Add the scallions, Shaoxing wine, salt, soy sauces, five-spice powder, sesame oil, and water. Cook for another minute. Stir in the cooked rice and peas. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the dough into four pieces. Working one piece at a time (cover the rest of the dough with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out), roll the dough into a long rope and cut it into small pieces about the size of an acorn. This method is similar to the one we used for dumpling wrappers.
- To assemble the shumai, first prepare the steamer, lining it with a layer of damp cheesecloth, or by brushing it with oil to prevent sticking.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out each piece of dough into a small circle about 3.5 inches in diameter. No worries if it’s not perfect. In this case, uneven edges are encouraged. They’ll give you a nice ruffled edge when assembled.
- Place a bit of the sticky rice mixture in the middle, and squeeze the wrapper around it to form the shape you want. Place them in the steamer about an inch apart.
- Steam the shumai for about 5 minutes and serve immediately with the dipping sauce of your choice!
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Sticky Rice Mushroom Shumai w/ Homemade Wrappers (Vegan)