Tomato Basil Soup Recipe; How to prepare this delicious recipe? What are the main ingredients required? Cooking time, important tips and more. Here is the best "Tomato Basil Soup" recipe we have found so far.
Tomato Basil Soup
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- 3 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound Campari tomatoes, or cocktail, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 cloves garlic, peel removed and cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, (5g, ⅛ ounce)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, (30g, 1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (10g)
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onions, (200g, 7 ounces) ¼-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable stock, (1 quart, 946ml)
- 1 cup basil leaves, (15g, ½ ounce) packed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, (3g)
Set the oven rack to the center position and preheat to 400ºF (204ºC).
Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Place all tomatoes cut-side up on the baking sheet.
Evenly disperse the garlic amongst the tomatoes.
Drizzle ¼ cup of olive oil evenly over the tomatoes.
Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
Flip over half of the tomatoes so an even amount is cut-side up and skin-side up on the baking sheet.
Place the thyme sprigs on top of the tomatoes.
Roast the tomatoes until lightly browned and slightly shriveled. Most of the liquid will evaporate, 55 to 60 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs.
Heat a large pot over medium heat.
Add butter, once melted add garlic and saute until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds.
Add onions, saute until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic, bay leaf, vegetable stock, and basil.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to reduce some of the liquid.
Remove bay leaf and discard.
Use an immersion hand blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, process the soup in batches in a blender until smooth.
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as desired. Garnish soup with chives.
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Tomato Basil Soup