- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, (1.4kg, 48 ounces), fat trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, (7g, ⅛ ounce), divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces thick-cut bacon, (4 to 5 slices) cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 cups carrots, (284g, 10 ounces), peeled, cut into ¾-inch thick slices
- 1 cup yellow onion, (4 ounces) cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 24 pearl onions, peeled
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf, dried or fresh
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, (7g)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, (20g, 15ml)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, (17g, ½ ounce)3 cups red wine, (720ml)
- 2 cups beef stock, (480ml)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (15ml)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, (30g, 1 ounce)
- 1 pound white mushrooms, (454g, 16 ounces), washed, dried and quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, (4g)
Set the oven rack to the lower third position. Preheat to 350ºF (177ºC).
Thoroughly dry the surface of the beef with paper towels. Cut into 2-inch thick cubes, then season with salt and pepper, set aside. If needed, dry again before adding to the pan.
Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and saute until crisp, about 6 to 7 minutes. Use a spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving the fat in the pan.
Heat bacon grease over medium-high heat. Once the fat is hot, add beef to the pan in a single layer, work in two batches. Sear the beef on each side until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes per side, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to the plate with the bacon. Repeat with remaining beef.
Turn heat down to medium and add the carrots, sliced onions, and pearl onions to the pan. Saute until the onions are lightly browned and tender, 10 minutes.
Add the thyme and bay leaf, saute for 30 seconds.
Add the garlic, saute for 30 seconds.
Add the tomato paste and saute for 30 seconds.
Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly stir in the wine, this will help the flour thicken the sauce.
Add in the beef stock, stir to combine.
Add in the browned beef and bacon, bring the liquid to a simmer for 5 minutes.
Cover and carefully transfer the pot to the oven.
Cook until the meat is very tender, about 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours.
Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter, once hot and bubbling add the mushrooms. Saute until tender and lightly browned, 5 minutes. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, cook for 2 minutes.
When the beef is done cooking, transfer the meat and vegetables to a medium bowl.
Bring the sauce to a rapid simmer over medium heat. As the fat rises to the surface, use a spoon to skim off the excess fat. Reduce the sauce until it can lightly coat the back of a spoon, about 2 to 2 ½ cups, the sauce will thicken more as it cools. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Return the meat, vegetables and mushrooms to the pan, stir to warm.
Garnish with chopped parsley.
Calories 714 Calories from Fat 396
% Daily Value*
Fat 44g 68%
Saturated Fat 18g 90%
Cholesterol 185mg 62%
Sodium 996mg 42%
Potassium 1508mg 43%
Carbohydrates 22g 7%
Fiber 4g 16%
Sugar 9g 10%
Protein 52g 104%
Vitamin A 7325IU 147%
Vitamin C 14mg 17%
Calcium 90mg 9%
Iron 6mg 33%