- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp hot curry powder
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 6 (about 1kg) mixed beetroots, peeled, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 300g wild rice
- Coriander leaves and lime wedges, to serve
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1-2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tbs curry leaves
- Toast curry leaves, mustard seeds, curry powder and coconut in a large dry frypan with a lid over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Transfer to a food processor and whiz until combined. Add onion, garlic, ginger and oil, and whiz to a paste.
- Return the frypan to medium heat and add curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the beetroot and 1/4 cup (60ml) water.
- Reduce heat to low, then cover and cook, stirring for 25 minutes or until sticky. Add tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes or until soft
- Use the back of a spoon to break up tomatoes, then stir in milk and juice. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Drain.
- For the temper, heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl lined with paper towel.
- Divide rice among bowls and top with curry, temper and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.