These Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins are a healthy, hearty snack or breakfast loaded with whole grains and bursting berries!
Hello friends! It’s Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel and today we’re all about getting back to routine after all the Christmas cookies, parties and holiday feasts.
When we’re talking about eating healthier, I like to start with breakfast.
Getting a good hearty breakfast in the morning is so important, and these Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins have so much to offer! They are super moist, and loaded with blueberries. They’re made with soaked oats, which gives them such a great texture and also bumps up the protein and fiber along with all of the other great things oats have to offer.
These muffins are a hole-in-one when it comes to a grab and go food.
Tips for making these Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins:
- Feel free to swap out the fruit — add in other berries, finely chop some apples or cherries, or mix and match to make your own favorite combination.
- I use quick cooking oats in my oatmeal muffins because I find they still give that hearty texture of oats, but don’t end up too chunky. It is fine if you swap the quick cooking oats for rolled oats, but the texture will be more noticeable. This recipe will not work with steel cut oats.
- You can pour the batter right into a greased muffin pan, use silicone muffin cups, or paper liners — all will work but they all work differently. If you liked browned edges, opt for a greased muffin pan. If you like the easiest removal, opt for silicone (go with a muffin pan with no ridges). Paper liners work as well, but you will need to wait for them to cool completely before they can be removed from the liners, and I’m not really into waiting 😉
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup hot water
- 1½ cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¾ cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oats and hot water in a medium bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, yogurt, applesauce, eggs and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Add soaked oats and stir until evenly distributed.
- Add flour and berries and stir just until combined — don’t overmix!
- Lightly grease a muffin pan and fill 24 muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cuisine: American German
Ingredients: baking powder blueberries brown sugar canola oil cinnamon eggs frozen blueberries Greek yogurt oats vanilla wheat flour