Giant Vegan Wellington Recipe; How to prepare it? What are the ingredients? Cooking tips and more. Here is the best "Giant Vegan Wellington" recipe we have found so far.
Giant Vegan Wellington
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- kale 250g, tough stalks removed
- cooked beetroot 250g pack, thinly sliced
- roasted red peppers from a jar 3, drained and halved
- plain flour 500g, plus extra for dusting
- olive oil 210ml
- aquafaba 7 tbsp, see notes below
- olive oil 2 tbsp
- onion 1, finely chopped
- swede 150g, coarsely grated
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- thyme a few sprigs leaves stripped
- nutmeg a good grating
- ready-cooked puy lentils 200g pouch
- apple 1, coarsely grated
- hazelnuts 30g, toasted and finely chopped
- breadcrumbs 50g
- lemon 1, zested
- Marmite 1 tsp
- vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- shallot 1, finely chopped
- brandy 100ml
- pink peppercorns 1 tbsp, lightly crushed
- vegan gravy granules 3 tbsp, see notes below
- soya cream 50ml
- To make the pastry, mix the flour with 1 tsp salt then stir in the olive oil and 5 or 6 tbsp of aquafaba until it comes together as a dough, then knead lightly for 30 seconds. Cut 1/3 of the pastry from the block, then wrap and chill both blocks for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and swede for 5-10 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, thyme and nutmeg, and cook for a further minute. Tip in the cooked lentils, apple and hazelnuts, and cook for 1 minute before stirring through the breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and cook the chopped garlic for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the kale and a splash of boiling water, and cook until the kale has wilted and the water has evaporated. Season and cool.
- On a lightly floured piece of baking paper, roll out the 1/3 of pastry to a 25cm x 15cm rectangle, then slide onto a baking sheet. Spoon ½ of the stuffing onto the pastry in an even layer, leaving a 1cm border. Add ½ of the kale mixture, ½ of the beetroot slices and all the pepper slices, so that you have clear layers. Spoon the remaining stuffing mix on top of this, then repeat with the remaining beetroot and kale.
- On another lightly floured piece of baking paper, roll out the remaining pastry to a 35cm x 30cm rectangle. Carefully flip the pastry onto the wellington and peel off the baking paper. Use your hands to mould the pastry round so it is tight to the filling. Use your finger and thumb to crimp the edges of the pastry so it’s completely encased, then trim any excess. Roll out any excess pastry and decorate, if you like. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Mix the Marmite with 1 tbsp aquafaba and use this to glaze the entire wellington. Put into the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- To make the gravy, heat the vegetable oil in a small pan and cook the shallot for 5 minutes until soft. Tip in the brandy and pink peppercorns. Mix the gravy granules with 350ml water and pour in. Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened slightly, then stir through the soya cream. Keep warm but do not boil. Cut the wellington into thick slices and serve with the gravy.
Aquafaba is the starchy liquid from a tin of chickpeas – it will help bind the pastry, a little like egg white.
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Giant vegan wellington