Best Great Northern Beans and Ham? Are you wondering how to prepare Great Northern Beans and Ham? Which Great Northern Beans and Ham recipe is the best on the internet? Do not search anymore! In this post you will find the best way to prepare Great Northern Beans and Ham.
Great Northern Beans and Ham Recipe Info
Total Time: 1 Hours, 30 Minutes
Recipe Yields: 8
Ingredient tags: brown sugar Carrots celery chicken broth fresh parsley optional Great Northern Beans dry ham hock leaf olive oil onion water
Great Northern Beans and Ham Recipe
- 1 pound Great Northern Beans dry
- 1 ham hock or 1 lb smoked ham
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley optional
- Rinse beans in a large pot and remove any debris. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Let sit overnight. Drain well.
- Cook onion in olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
Combine beans, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf ham hock and seasonings in a pot. Add 4 cups chicken broth and 4 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaf, taste and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Saturated Fat: 2g
Vitamin A: 2612%
Vitamin C: 12%