- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each onion and carrot, finely chopped
- 200g small Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs English mustard
- 1/2 bunch thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tsp freshly cracked black peppercorns (we used Woolworths Macro)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- 200g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 330g plain flour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- For shortcrust pastry, place butter, flour and 1/2 tsp salt flakes in food processor and whiz until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add vinegar and 1/3 cup (80ml) iced water, and pulse until mixture forms a ball. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface, halve dough and press each portion into a flat disc. Enclose each disc in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, heat 2 tbs oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and mushroom, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until starting to soften. Add garlic and mince, and cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until darkened slightly, then stir through flour.
- Add stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme and pepper, and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and chill until completely cooled.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20cm 1L (4-cup) pie dish.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 pastry disc to a 3mm-thick round. Use to line prepared dish, leaving 4cm pastry overhanging. Fill with cooled beef mixture and brush pastry edges with egg. Roll out remaining disc to a 3mm-thick round and use to top pie, pressing pastry edges together firmly with lightly floured hands. Trim excess pastry, then crimp edges with a piping-bag nozzle. Make a cross in pastry and brush with egg.
- Place pie on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour or until golden. Serve with tomato sauce.