- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, quartered (use kitchen scissors or poultry shears to do this)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked, roots cleaned and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp each dried oregano, ground cumin and dried chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 6 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 500ml chicken stock
- Steamed brown rice, sliced avocado, shredded spring onion, micro coriander and canned tomatillo (Mexican tomatoes – from selected grocers), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and season chicken with salt. Cook chicken pieces, skin-side down, for 6 minutes or until skin is golden. Turn, then cook for a further 4 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.<<
- Add the onion, coriander root and garlic to the same pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minu<tes or until softened. Add dried oregano, spices and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, for< 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomato and stir to coat, then add stock and bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to pan, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour 30 minutes or until chicken is very tender. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Increase heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes to thicken. Season.
- Remove skin from chicken, then shred the meat, discarding bones. Return chicken to sauce, stirring to warm through.
- Serve with rice, avocado, tomatillo, and mixed micro coriander and spring onio
avocado brown rice dried oregano garlic cloves onion tomatoes