- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat berries
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown rice
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup (90 mL) pine nuts
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) shallots, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup (90 mL) Feta cheese, crumbled
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add wheat berries and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until slightly toasted. Add rice, 4 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 40 minutes, or until both the wheat berry and the rice are tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Stir in parsley.
2. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook until golden and toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate. Return pan to heat and add remaining oil, shallots and cranberries. Cook until shallots are tender and cranberries are plump about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
3. Pour warm vinaigrette over wheat berry mixture. Add pine nuts and feta and toss to combine. Spoon into bowls and garnish with extra parsley and feta.