Cornbread Dressing Recipe; How to prepare it? What are the ingredients? Cooking tips and more. Here is the best "Cornbread Dressing" recipe we have found so far.
Recipe Yields: 12
Ingredient Tags: All-purpose Flour baking powder Black Pepper Butter celery chicken stock cranberries Egg Eggs Fuji apple Garlic halves honey Italian sausage Kosher Salt parsley red onion rosemary sage thyme Vegetable Oil whole milk yellow cornmeal
⇓ Scroll down to see full recipe instructions. ⇓
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, (140g, 4 ⅛ ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (142g, 5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, (11g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, (5g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk, (240ml)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, (79ml)
- ¼ cup honey, (60ml) or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, (15ml)
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, (454g, 16 ounces) casing removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, (30g, 1 ounce)
- 1 cup diced red onion, (115g, 4 ounces) ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup diced celery, (142g, 5 ounces) ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup diced Fuji apple, (118g, 4 ounces) ¼-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (12g)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped sage, (3g)
- 2 teaspoon chopped rosemary, (3g)
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- ½ cup dried cranberries, (60g, 2 ounces)
- ½ cup pecan halves, (60g, 2 ounces) roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock, (480ml)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, (5g)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Adjust the oven rack to the center position. Preheat to 400ºF (204ºC).
Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan with vegetable oil.
In a medium bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate medium bowl whisk together egg, milk, vegetable oil, and honey until the sweetener is completely dissolved.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to fold the ingredients together until no more lumps remain.
Pour the cornbread batter in the baking pan. Bake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 22 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF (177ºC).
Allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
Cool until it can be easily handled, about 10 to 15 minutes. It’s okay if the bread is still warm.
Slice into ¾-inch cubes and then spread in a single layer on a large sheet pan. There should be about 9 cups of cubes.
Toast the cubes in the oven until the edges are dry and crisp, about 30 to 35 minutes, gently stirring every 10 minutes.
Allow to completely cool on the sheet pan while the other ingredients are prepared.
Heat a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, once hot add the sausage.
Brown the sausage, breaking into smaller pieces and cook until no longer pink, about 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer meat to a large bowl.
Melt the butter in the pan, then add in the onions, celery, and apples. Saute until the vegetables and apples are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add garlic, saute until fragrant, 30 seconds.
Add parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
Transfer mixture to the bowl with the sausage.
Stir in the cranberries and chopped pecans.
Gently stir in the toasted cornbread cubes.
In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, chicken stock, salt, and pepper.
Pour the liquid evenly over the bread, gently stir to combine. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
Grease a 9×13-inch pan with vegetable oil.
Evenly spread the cornbread mixture into the pan. Sprinkle more cranberries and chopped pecans on top if desired.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Loosely cover and bake until the internal temperature reaches 144ºF (62ºC), about 10 to 20 minutes. If desired, remove the foil and bake another 5 minutes to crisp the surface.
Calories 413 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Fat 27g 42%
Saturated Fat 13g 65%
Cholesterol 77mg 26%
Sodium 710mg 30%
Potassium 399mg 11%
Carbohydrates 34g 11%
Fiber 3g 12%
Sugar 12g 13%
Protein 11g 22%
Vitamin A 194IU 4%
Vitamin C 3mg 4%
Calcium 93mg 9%
Iron 2mg 11%
This recipe was featured on BestRecipeFinder.
View original post on Cornbread Dressing