- 1/2 cup frozen green peas (steamed and cooled)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 medium shallots (minced // 2 shallots yield ~3/4 cup minced)
- 4 large cloves garlic (skin removed and slightly smashed/crushed)
- 1 tsp finely minced or grated ginger (or sub 1/4 tsp dried ginger)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Tbsp green curry paste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice (1 small lemon yields ~1 ½ Tbsp or 22 ml)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lime juice (1 small lime yields ~1 ½ Tbsp or 22 ml)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (plus more to taste)
FOR SERVING optional
- Crackers (gluten-free, if needed)
- Pita or pita chips
- Freshly sliced vegetables
If you haven’t already done so, steam and cool green peas. Fill a medium saucepan with 1/2 -1 inch of water and place peas in a steamer basket over the water. Steam until vibrant green, then carefully remove steamer basket from heat. Allow peas to cool.
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, shallot, and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes, or until softened and slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
To a food processor add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, ginger, drained chickpeas, curry paste, tahini, lemon and lime juice, salt, cilantro, and sautéed shallot and garlic. Mix/pulse until well mixed and mostly smooth. You may need to add a little water to encourage blending if too thick — keep in mind it will thicken up when refrigerated.
Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more curry paste for intense curry flavor, ginger for zing, lime or lemon juice for acidity/brightness, salt for saltiness, or cilantro for freshness.
Once the flavor is where you want it, add peas and stir with a spoon to keep them whole, or pulse a few times to slightly chop the peas. Serve with another drizzle of olive oil and a little fresh cilantro.
We enjoy this dip with gluten free crackers (such as Mary’s Gone Crackers), but it would also be delicious with pita, pita chips, or vegetables. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Sodium: 412mg
- Potassium: 192mg
- Carbohydrates: 10.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 5.4g