- 1 kg ocean trout fillet (skin on), pin-boned
- 160 g treacle
- 100 g sea salt
- 1 tbs fennel seeds
- 2 tbs English mustard powder
- 2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Rye bread, butter and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place fish, skin-side down, on a large baking paper-lined baking tray.
- Place treacle in a small pan over medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from heat.
- Stir through salt, fennel seeds, mustard powder and pepper. Cool.
- Spread cooled treacle mixture evenly over fish, sprinkle with lemon zest and enclose tightly in plastic wrap.
- Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Chill for 2 days to cure.
- Unwrap trout, scrape off treacle mixture using the blunt edge of a knife and pat dry with paper towel.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to bring to room temperature.
- Thinly slice on an angle away from skin. Serve with buttered bread and lemon wedges.