- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle chicken with salt if desired. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; brown chicken on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the pan drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until jelly is melted. Return chicken to pan. Cook, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove skin if desired. Top chicken with onion mixture.
1 each: 505 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Glazed Chicken in Taste of Home October/November 2000