- 4 salmon fillets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature see note 1
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika smoked paprika, if you have it
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper or 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
In a small bowl stir together cajun seasoning ingredients.
Use an electric hand mixer to whip butter for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add honey and cream together until smooth. Mix in 1 tablespoon of the cajun seasoning. (remaining seasoning can be stored in airtight container up to 3 months)
Pat salmon fillets dry on both sides with a paper towel. Rub all over with oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook salmon on a preheated grill or grill pan for 6-8 minutes on each side until opaque and flaky.
Turn off the grill (or stove if using a grill pan) and place a generous dollop of cajun honey butter on top of each fillet.
Allow to melt for about 30 seconds, then use the back of a spoon to spread the butter all over the the top of the salmon. Flip, and repeat on the other side.
Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley if desired and serve immediately.
- if using salted butter, do not salt the salmon in step three