- 3 tomatoes, about 3-inches in diameter
- 1 pound
- , (454g) about 3-inches sized mozzarella balls
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, (240ml)
- 2 tablespoons honey, (30ml)
- 12 large basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- Black pepper, for seasoning
- Add balsamic vinegar and honey to a small saucepan, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat with some bibbling.
Reduce the sauce to about 1/4 to ⅓ cup, about 20 to 25 minutes.fresh Allow balsamic reduction to slightly cool. It should have a maple syrup consistency when cooled.
The reduction will thicken as it cools, if needed add some warm water and heat over low to make the sauce less thick. For a thicker sauce reduce to ¼ cup.
Cut mozzarella into 12 slices, about ¼-inch in thickness.
Cut tomatoes into 12 slices, about ¼-inch in thickness
Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves, overlapping on a platter.
Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Drizzle salad with balsamic reduction, or serve on the side.
- Pure maple syrup can be substituted for honey in the balsamic vinegar reduction.
- If the balsamic reduction gets overly reduced and too thick to drizzle once slightly cooled, and a small amount of warm water to adjust the thickness. Reheat over low heat for a few minutes if needed.