- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, (15ml)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, (3g)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger, (3g)
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, (113g) 1/8-inch thick slices
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock, (960ml)
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, (60g) 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup bamboo shoots, (45g, 1 1/2 ounces) finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar, (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce , (5ml)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, (5ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, (8g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, (16g)
- 1/4 cup water, (60ml)
- 8 ounces firm tofu, (227g) cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, (2g)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, (11g) thinly sliced
- hot chili oil, (optional)
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil, once hot add the garlic and ginger, saute for 30 seconds.
Add sliced chicken, saute until cooked through, 2 minutes.
Add chicken stock and turn heat to medium-high, bring the stock to a simmer.
Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, and salt, stir to combine, simmer for 5 minutes.
Add tofu and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Gradually add to the soup, stirring constantly until the soup is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat and drizzle in the whisked egg. Use a spoon to stir the soup using figure-eight motions, until you see strands of eggs appear.
Add in the white pepper, stir to combine. Taste soup and adjust salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
Garnish the soup with green onions and chili oil if using.
Calories 205 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 79mg 26%
Sodium 787mg 33%
Potassium 335mg 10%
Carbohydrates 10g 3%
Fiber 1g 4%
Sugar 1g 1%
Protein 17g 34%
Vitamin A 105IU 2%
Vitamin C 0.6mg 1%
Calcium 91mg 9%
Iron 1.7mg 9%