- 2cm pieces (50g) ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 x 150g small chicken breast fillets (skin on)
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2 large telegraph cucumber, peeled, halved lengthways, seeds removed, cut into 5cm matchsticks
- 150g bean sprouts
- 1 bunch spring onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves picked
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 60g roasted salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fish sauce
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Bring 1 litre (4 cups) water to the boil in a large shallow pan with the ginger. Add chicken and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool chicken in liquid for up to 1 hour.
For dressing, slowly bring fish sauce, vinegar, juice and sugar to the boil in a small pan over low heat. Mix cornflour with 1 teaspoon cold water, stir into the dressing and simmer gently for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, cool, then stir in the chilli and garlic.
Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based frypan over high heat. Add sesame seeds and toss for a few seconds until lightly golden. Remove from the pan and cool.
4.Remove chicken from liquid, discard skin and shred flesh into long strips. Combine chicken with cucumber, sprouts, onion, herbs and sesame seeds in a large serving dish. Drizzle with dressing and top with peanuts. Serve immediately.